Sunday, March 16, 2008

St Patrick's Day Dash - March 16th 2008




Top O' the mornin' tae ya!

What a day. Bloody brilliant! Two days in a row I've been up just past 7am. Ron and I got some petrol for the car and fuel for ourselves at Starbucks and headed off to pick up my other friends, Marlene, Bob and Grey. We got dropped off at the starting line and basically hung around for a good 1/2 hour before we started off in our wave. Marlene took off - I know she really wanted to beat me. Thinking because I do triathlons that I am going to beat everyone, but I've told them many a time before that I am really not a runner, well not for speed anyways. We took off down Mercer Street under the tunnel. The noise of people whistling and whooping was deafening. I could hear it through my IPOD. I had to stop just a couple of times, mostly to get rid of snot. TMI! hahha. There were 16,000 people doing this race so really stopping and walking at this point was not a good idea. LOL. We got on the Alaskan Way Viaduct which runs right along downtown and the waterfront. It was so pretty, certainly made my running easier. I tried to control my breathing to nice and slow so I wouldn't be burnt out too quickly. I wanted to really dash towards the finish line whenever I saw it.

We took a left down towards 1st Avenue and towards Qwest Field (Seahawks Stadium) At this point I could hear cheering and whistling. We took a quick left and BAM there was the finish line. I looked at my IPOD and the time was coming up to 39 minutes. Crap. I really wanted to finish under 40. Oh well. My time and distance according to my Nike+ thing was 3.65 miles at 41:12. That's a personal best for me. I really am so chuffed at this because as you all know running is my weak point of all the 3 sports. My fastest mile on the IPOD was 11:04. When you end your workout, either Paula Radcliffe or Lance Armstrong tell you are bloody awesome!!! I love it. Best invention EVER! When you get to the last 400 meters or so it really gets you going to run fast towards the finish as you hear the count down to 100 meters!! HAHAHHA. God I sound lame. But I honestly am really taking to enjoying running. Especially when I see great results and improvement, and considering this time last year I couldn't run for 2 minutes without passing out. I am proud of myself for all the achievements I've made, without sound too pig headed but I've come through a lot with smoking and drinking issues, my weight, depression. Getting into triathlons and exercise is simply the best thing I have ever done in my life (With the exception of moving and getting married and probably having children will be added to that list soon )

After finishing I walked around for a few minutes and picked up some free cheese and juice. Can't beat that. It was just far too crowded really to get a good look at everything else they had. I met up with Bob walking to the Starbucks at SODO - to meet with Ron - and chatted about the run. He did really well for a guy that is slightly overweight and no runner by any means. I'm so proud of him for wanting to do this with us. He suggested more 5K runs together. I really am in the mood now for tri season to start. I am intrigued to see my results from this year compared to last year.

No comments: