Thursday, June 12, 2008

Moses Lake Triathlon

So last Friday my friend Leslie and I headed out to Central Washington to embark on our 1st ever triathlon road trip together! I was just happy to get away from the weekend and hopefully into some sunshine! The weather in the Greater Seattle area has been just so bad lately and we are all forgetting what the sun looks like. Sure enough as we entered the pass the rain fell and the temperature dropped. Brrr.


Once we got over the pass, the clouds really started to part and so did our smiles! YAY! It was going to be nice. At least it wasn't going to rain!! We hoped! I had been to the Gorge in George once for a concert but that was as far as I went. I was told by Leslie that Moses Lake was pretty much a 1 street town, and boy was she right! We stopped at the Blue Heron Park 1st where the race was going to be to check out the lake. We dipped our feet in, took some pictures and wrote in the sand.






Later we checked into our hotel, went and got our race packets and met up with some other triathlon gals at Dana's restaurant in town. We had a good laugh about pretty much everything. Giant cucumbers and phallus's! Random or what?


Once we got pretty much everything ready for race day we headed down to the hot tub for a well deserved soak. Then it was time for bed. Neither of us slept. This was going to be our 1st Olympic!!! EEK!

When we got up the next day the sun was shining. We made our way to the transition area. Tons of places to park. Phew. My stomach was totally churning. I was really worried about the swim and nothing else.

I walked around, got my area ready and chatted with fellow triathletes. The men set off 1st for the swim then we got ready.

I finished the swim in around 31 minutes. Not too bad. I got kicked in the face at the start and had to fix my goggles but other than that I never stopped. I took my time because this was the longest I'd swam in a triathlon and I didn't know how I would feel when I got out the water.

The last 100 meters or so I kicked my legs really hard to get the blood circulating. I was so dizzy when I got out though!

I spent about 6 minutes in T1. The bike on the way out totally sucked. Strong winds meant I couldn't get over 10mph. There was one hill and when I came to it I had unclipped incase I need to stop. I was slowing down when a gust blew me one way and because I was clipped in on that side I fell over, throwing my bike above me to protect it. I twisted my knee on the way down. I hate those fucking clips. They have caused me so much trouble.

At the end of the turnaround I stopped at the ambulance for some strapping. My knee was just killing me. Took me over 2 hours to finish the bike.

I had to walk almost the entire 6 miles. Taking me over 1 hour 20 minutes. I finished last in the Olympic section with an overall time of 4:09:32. Lame. I did come in 3rd in my division though. Makes for good learning experience for my next Oly, which I might do at the end of July.

No comments: